Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 15:18:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
To:        pvinci@ix.netcom.com (Paul Vinciguerra)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ppp w/ chap authentication.

> Hi,
>
> Well, I thought I got a good deal with an isp so that I could finally
> connect my FreeBSD system to the net.  I found out that this ISP only
> provides PPP with CHAP.
>
> Is there any way to connect my 2.0R to this isp? they're no help at
> all.
>

> thanks,
>
> Paul

pppd supports chap, doesn't it?  From the man page.
       +chap  Require the peer to authenticate itself using  CHAP
              [Cryptographic  Handshake  Authentication Protocol]
              authentication.

       -chap  Don't agree to authenticate using CHAP.

       chap-max-challenge <n>
              Set the maximum number of CHAP challenge  transmis-
              sions to <n> (default 10).

       chap-interval <n>
              If  this option is given, pppd will rechallenge the
              peer every <n> seconds.

AUTHENTICATION
       pppd provides system administrators with sufficient access
       control that PPP access to a server machine  can  be  pro-
       vided to legitimate users without fear of compromising the
       security of the server or the network it's  on.   In  part
       this  is  provided by the /etc/ppp/options file, where the
       administrator can place options to require  authentication
       whenever  pppd  is  run,  and  in part by the PAP and CHAP
       secrets files, where the administrator  can  restrict  the
       set of IP addresses which individual users may use.

...+ alot more.

I don't use it myself so I can't help there.

 Boyd Faulkner                                  faulkner@isd.tandem.com