Date:      Sat, 27 May 2006 19:48:32 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@what-creek.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DTrace for FreeBSD - Status Update

--nextPart2360307.01sT1kABzC

On Saturday 27 May 2006 05:20, John Birrell wrote:
> I've added a KDTRACE kernel option which compiles in the hooks that
> DTrace uses and a bit of extra exception handling code. This
> is only minimal bloat.
>
> Apart from those hooks, the DTrace kernel functionality is in the
> 'dtrace' device which is also the 'dtrace' provider. The other
> providers register themselves with the 'dtrace' device.
>
> If the DTrace device modules aren't loaded, there is very little
> code in the kernel to share.

=46actoring out the common code into a separate module that dtrace/ktrace/e=
tc=20
can depend would be a good approach IMO.

Although having just a single source copy but compiling it N times would be=
=20
better (modulo licensing concerns - perhaps the hwpmc version could be used=
?)

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum