Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:36:01 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        THIERRY.HERBELOT@telspace.alcatel.fr
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?R=E9p_=3A_Re=3A_R=E9p_=3A_rc=2Eserial?=

On Wed, Apr 15, 1998 at 03:52:35PM +0200, THIERRY.HERBELOT@telspace.alcatel.fr wrote:
>      One of the good points in using mgetty is the modem management :
>      mgetty waits for the "RING" message from the modem and then answers
>      the line.
>
>      Has PPPD the same feature ?

I'm not sure what you mean. AFAIK mgetty also execs pppd
once it has decided that a ppp link is desired.
The normal getty - despite from being ppp 'aware' (provided things
work as they should) - can pass control to pppd.

Also /usr/libexec/getty can execute a chat script to answer the modem
(gettytab ac option). Despite of that it uses the blocking open
which blocks as long as DCD is inactive (IIRC).