Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 06:05:54 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        blp-lds@texas.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Needed Help for FreeBSD v2.2.5

(please fix your line-width - thanks!)

On Sat, Feb 07, 1998 at 06:25:32PM -0600, Bryan Parkoff wrote:
> Dear Eivind,
>
>     I use Microsoft Mouse that connects to PS/2 port, and it uses IRQ 12.  I run XF86
> setup.  I tried to change the settings that the mouse does not work.  The arrow in
> the screen does not move.  I set /dev/mouse and Microsoft or PS/2.

You need to add the correct support to your kernel.  Configure it under
'Input devices' in visual userconfig.  You'll get visual userconfig by
typing '-c' at the Boot: prompt, and then typing 'visual'.

>     I have a lot of questions to ask that I need help, but I feel that I may depend
> on you.  I prefer to use newsgroups so we can have feedback.  Do you know which
> newsgroups are best?  I use search on the newsgroups and it displays many FreeBSD
> newsgroups, but not many people use them.

The right thing to do with questions at this level is to mail them to
questions@freebsd.org.

>     The complete FreeBSD book does not have step on step installation and it contains
> many topics.  I am trying to follow the direction in step on step.  It is an example
> that it says to use scripting shell.  When I type: "for, done, etc", error message
> says, "File not found"  It is why the book does not tell what I need to use scripting
> shell.

The example you gave me would work under /bin/sh, /usr/local/bin/zsh, or
/usr/local/bin/bash.

If you want a good interactive shell, I'd recommend zsh - install it from
the ports.  It will also accept scripting in the syntax you gave.

>     Do you know which book has step on step or tutorial?  Any local book store does
> not have FreeBSD, but they have Linux.

I don't know of any, sorry.

Eivind.