Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 20:48:00 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Larry Sica <lomion@mac.com>
Cc:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GGI (was: Project Status)

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Larry Sica wrote:

> On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 10:33 AM, Narvi wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Larry Sica wrote:
> >

> >> This is probably the most important aspect of any desktop.  A coherent
> >> system.  A desktop needs consistency, ease of use and applications.
> >>
> >> Sometime too much choice is just as bad, or worse, than no choice at
> >> all.  I want to be able to setup a system that will look and feel the
> >> same for 99% of cases.  I want to be able to use quicken, or word, or
> >> that cool photo app.  I want my itunes, my instant messenger.  That is
> >> what people say.  Most don't have the time or care to get deeply
> >> involved in their computer, they want it to be just another electronic
> >> device they use, like a vcr, or a tv.
> >>
> >> So the question becomes, does FreeBSD as a whole want to target this
> >> user audience?  Is there the collective will to make that a reality?
> >> If the answer is no, I would think resources are best directed
> >> elsewhere perhaps?
> >>

> > There is no point in dragging - or trying to drag - FreeBSD as a whole
> > into this. Its not useful and furthermore not the way things get done.
> > They way to get things done is:
> >
> > 	* find similarily minded people who want to see it happen
> >

> Perhaps, but there also needs to be some level of commitment at the
> core level.  And I don't just mean core@, i mean a willingness overall
> to have things move in that direction on some level.

I think there is sufficent amount of this

> > 	* *DECIDE* (and later keep to the decision) as to what exactly
> > 	  your target audience is
> >

> Well that is a given, trying to please everyone all of the time is
> impossible.

Exactly - and different groups are best served by different

> > 	* and then you just deal with the needed decisions that come from
> > 	  the first two parts to end up with a desktop package
> >

> This is not so simple.  There are more factors than just what someone
> likes to use.  What I like or you like may be horrible for the target
> audience.    You have to worry about maintainability among other
> things.  Compatability, future compatability, etc etc...

This is why you need to deal with the decisions - and make the ones that
may seem the wrong ones for you *personaly*, but are a better fit for the
target audience.

> > But really its a huge amount of work and includes many quite quirky
> > decisions even when starting for a well-known base like GNOME/KDE
> > (alphabetical ordering).
> >

> Yes, also when using a third party base you lose some control.  Since
> now you have to compensate for their packages and quirks and bugs and
> localizations.

Its unlikely you will have the resources to start something like gnomeor
kde from scratch, and imho an utter waste of time. Instead you should
start with the base and add your own customisation layer that fixes up
some of the things and changes others.