Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 16:23:34 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing, Burst Pages and sh=true

>> Yah, this all sounds so familiar.  The problem here is that when you use
>> lpd to talk to the printer, there is just no way in the world to turn
>> off the banner page.  The solution is to not talk lpd to the printer.
>> Instead print directly to port 9100.  Change your printcaps to look like
>> this:
>>
>I tried that.  Do I still have the lpd daemon running when I'm printing ?  I

yes, that's who lpr talks to.  The 9100@address tells lpd to just spit
plain data at that port without using the lpd protocol.

>tried with and without the daemon and it still will not print anymore.  Are
>you sure it's 9100 (JetDirect) and not 515 (printer) ?  I'm also unsure why
>you don't have the rp=raw1 anymore.  I thought I needed that to specifiy

That's for lpd protocol to specify which queue at the remote "host".
Since we're not doing lpd protocol, it's extraneous.

>which jetdirect port you're wanting to print out of.  Yet I tried it with
>and without that.  :/  You're sure there's no way to turn off the banner
>page ?  Is this a bug in lpd ?

No, it's a "feature" of the Jetdirect card.  :-)

>Just got the syntax correction, but I'm still wondering about the remote
>port.  Our JetDirects have 3 ports, which are specified by rp=raw1 rp=raw2
>etc.  Can I still use this option ?

Ah, hmm, I don't have any of the 3-port Jetdirect cards.  rp is still
the remote queue, so it's not what you want, but there is probably a
way.  Maybe they use separate ports.  Try maybe 9100, 9200, 9300, or
9100, 9101, 9102.  You can telnet to the port and just type something,
and when you disconnect it will print what you typed if you have the
right port.

>Hey, I found a page that referred me to a simple answer.  It seems the
>banner page is being inserted, not by lpd, but by the jetdirect itself.  If

Right, that's the whole problem.  You can't control it from printcap.

>you telnet into the damn thing, it has banner options.  :)  Thanks for your
>help

Huh, something else mine don't do.  There have been probably several
generations of these things.  Glad you found an incantation that works.

-Mitch