Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 15:02:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        patch <tbennett@kos.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem compatability

On Wed, 5 May 1999, patch wrote:

>   Hello
>     I purchased and installed FreeBSD 3.1 last week on my PC. So far
> everything has worked except my modem.
>     My modem is an HSP K56FLEXPNP modem. At first, my modem would not
> show, so I follow the instruction in section 3.22 of the FAQ. Now my
> boot-up screen looks like this:
>
> Probing for PNP devices:
> CSN 1 vendor ID: CMI001 [0x0100a90d] serial 0x01000100 Comp ID: @@@0000
> [0x0000 0000]
> CSN 2 vendor ID: @QN1c01 [0x011c2e02] serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: @@@0000
> [0x0000 0000]
> CSN 2 is disabled
> Probing for devices on the isa bus:
> sc0 on isa
> sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
> ed0 not found at 0x280
> fe0 not found at 0x300
> atkbdc0 at 0x60-6x6f on motherboard
> atkbd0 irq 1 on isa
> psm0 not found
> sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
> sio0: type 16550A
> sio1: Configured irq 3 not in bit map of probed irqs 0
> sio1 not found
>
> Windows 95 configures the modem at irq 10 and I/O port 02e8-02ef.
>  I purchased FreeBSD 2.5 last spring but  I was unable to set up my
> modem with version 2.5 so I gave up until this spring when I decided to
> try again with a newer version version 3.1. I think this is an excellent
> product but I need my modem working to enjoy it.
> If there is a step that I am missing or not doing, I would appreciate
> the help or any info. Thank you very much.

ok, 2 things:

1) if your modem is a "winmodem" you are SOL :(
2) however it may just be a pnp modem, try thi:

  at the bootloeader, hit a key, then type "boot -c" then at the next
  prompt, try "visual" then set the irq for your second serial port,
  I think some combinatin of using the "pnp" commands to force the
  serial device to a known IRQ, then setting the sio device to that
  IRQ may help you.

good luck,
-alfred