Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 22:23:04 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        questions@FREEBSD.org
Cc:        "Annelise Anderson" <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   root on ad0s3a and /usr/local on ad1s3h

Interesting how good advice given to a newbie can be incomplete (but didn't I
say that ...?) or, due to a lack of vital local information - positively
dangerous.

First, Greg Lehey was most helpful, and after providing a specific
amplification of his earlier answer (CAN newfs ad1s3 - BUT! 14 May 2002
16:23:02 +0930) I could understand, follow his instructions and produce a
working ad1s3 - Yeah!

Now to Annelise advice on moving /usr/local from drive 0 to ad1s3.
(/usr/home on separate disk 9/5/02 13:31)
Looked good - BUT! Annelise didn't know that both as root and as user, my
default shell is /usr/local/bin/bash.  So I copied files from /usr/local to
/usr/newlocal (there is a trap here - see below), changed /usr/local to
/usr/local2 and then went to edit /etc/fstab and found I could not.  Problem
- my commands and my favourite file manager and editor are in /usr/local,
which no longer existed.  YUK!
I could not su, nor could I logout as user and login as root, because my
shell did not exist.  I couldn't login as myself, either - same reason.
HELP - I'm locked out of my own system!  :-(

Fortunately Greg was contactable and he talked me through to single user
mode, made a few helpful suggestions and thought I could manage from there.
WRONG (I'm far more stupid than he thinks!).  Ben, another very knowledgeable
friend talked me through the mess and we followed Annelise' advice by a
somewhat circuitous route!  But we got there!  Yeah! again!

That trap I mentioned earlier?  "cp /usr/local /usr/newlocal" did NOT simply
copy all the files in local to newlocal.  Instead it copied itself into
newlocal, to produce /usr/newlocal/local, which was NOT what we wanted!

Hope this rambling helps somebody.

--
Regards,
Brian