Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:01:20 -0800
From:      Brad Karp <bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   mixer woes on ESS1371 on Tyan S2567 motherboard

I run 4.2-RELEASE on a new dual 1 GHZ P-III box, with the Tyan 2567
motherboard.

The motherboard's ESS1371 is probed fine:

pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0xdf00-0xdf3f irq 11 at device 2.0 on pci0

# pciconf -l | grep pcm0
pcm0@pci0:2:0:	class=0x040100 card=0x13711274 chip=0x13711274 rev=0x08 hdr=0x00

# cat < /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jan 31 2001 15:56:50
Installed devices:
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0xdf00 irq 11 (1p/1r channels duplex)

When I change mixer channel levels, the changes "stick" on some channels but
not on others. And I've been unable to generate any sound, even on the speaker
channel.

Specifically, here's what I get when I look at the mixer levels:

# mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer pcm      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to   0:0
Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer line1    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer monitor  is currently set to   0:0

Watch what happens when I try to change the level of, say, pcm:

# mixer pcm 75
Setting the mixer pcm to 75:75.
# mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer pcm      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to   0:0
Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer line1    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer monitor  is currently set to   0:0

It turns out that for some channels, my changes are reflected in subsequent
runs of mixer, and for others, my changes are not. A summary:

	changes "stick":	speaker, mic, rec, phout
	changes don't "stick":	vol, pcm, line, cd, line1, phin, video, monitor

Has anyone seen similar behavior under 4.2? Or better still, is there a fix
I'm missing?

Many thanks,
-Brad, bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu