Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:22:35 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anthony Carmody <anthony@carmoda.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIC card not showing up during 5.1 install

--udzYTtuEmHLUHegf

Overlong lines.

On Wednesday, 24 September 2003 at 18:45:47 +1000, Anthony Carmody wrote:
> i am building a new server for a client and my hardware vendor
> changed my usual hardware profile to use an 800fsb ASUS Mainboard,
> it runs the Intel 865G chipset. I have tried installing 5.1 but it
> cannot see to onboard Ethernet and seems to get upset running the
> mouse when the XF86 server starts up for some reason.
>
> i have 2 bootable installer discs for 5.1 made from ISO images some
> months ago.
>
> I had a look at the current HARDWARE.TXT in the first disc and the
> network card is supported so it says"
>
> "Intel 82562-based Fast Ethernet NICs"
>
> when i get the prompt during installation to configure network
> connections i only get a sellection of four serial connections PPP &
> SLIP etc. I remember being given a choice of one NIC as well....
>
> so, does this mean it might be there somewhere? when i run a
> 'netstat -i' i cant see anything that looks like a NIC.  Just serial
> ports etc. I assume this is only running interfaces, correct? what
> should i be looking for?

Do a minimal install, then run=20

  # pciconf -vl

The output looks something like (showing NICs only):

  rl0@pci0:12:0:  class=3D0x020000 card=3D0x032010bd chip=3D0x813910ec rev=
=3D0x10 hdr=3D0x00
      vendor   =3D 'Realtek Semiconductor'
      device   =3D 'RT8139 (A/B/C/8130) Fast Ethernet Adapter'
      class    =3D network
      subclass =3D ethernet
  vr0@pci0:18:0:  class=3D0x020000 card=3D0x764c1462 chip=3D0x30651106 rev=
=3D0x74 hdr=3D0x00
      vendor   =3D 'VIA Technologies Inc'
      device   =3D 'VT6102 Rhine II PCI Fast Ethernet Controller'
      class    =3D network
      subclass =3D ethernet

Show us what you see there.  If you can identify the NIC in the
output, you don't need to show the rest.

Greg

--udzYTtuEmHLUHegf

--udzYTtuEmHLUHegf--