Date:      Mon, 06 Aug 2001 14:49:29 -0400
From:      "Christopher T. Jewett" <ctjewett@zdnetonebox.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Re: Thanks to all -- A couple of suggestions

--1BoxPartBoundary99712377014189997123770

Just thought I'd give you my two cents worth...
I installed FreeBSD on a Dell Laptop with Windows '98 already on it.
The process is rather simple actually.  In spite of the intimidatingdisclaimers,
FIPS is quite stable, and I've resized several hard diskpartitions without
incident.  I suppose they're taking a preemptive shotagainst litigation
in the event that things don't work quite right. Anyway, you should be
able to install on the existing hard drive after
1) performing a complete backup and
2) defragging the hard drive.  This moves everything to the start ofthe
partition, allowing you to chop off the end without truncating anydata
in
the process.  Once you have the hard drive partitioned the installationis
fairly straightforward.
Enjoy!

Mark Van Tuyl

>---- DAlSault@aol.com wrote:
>> I want to thank everyone for answering my questions and responding
>> so
>> quickly. I've gone carefully through the install procedures usingthe
>>
>> kern.flp and mfsroot.flp disks and it is clear that Windows 98 takes
>> the
>> entire disk. It left a mere 2 Meg for the install! ha. It was difficult
>> determine because instead of showing disk space in Mb, it showed it
>> in "ST"
>> and I had to cycle through the different units to get info I could
>> interpret
>> easily. I looked at the FIPS program info after I downloaded it, but
>> it looks
>> like a nightmare, full of places to go wrong and destroy my comp.All
>> in all,
>> i've decided the best thing to do would be to buy a new disk and install
>>
>> directly to it, leaving my windows disk completely alone. Thanks again.
>> David

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com