Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2007 13:34:41 +0100
From:      Espen Tagestad <espen@modula.no>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SAS5IR performance issue with Dell 860

Hi,

We recently bought 3 new Dell 860 servers with the onboard SAS5/IR SATA
RAID-controller. They seem to be quite well spec'ed servers with
management and everything - but I am experiencing av major performance
issue with the disc i/o. On write I get at max 7-8MB/sec, while read
gives a bit more (11MB/sec). I tried first with 6.2-RELEASE, and then
upgraded to 6.3-PRERELEASE without any better results.

I am aware of some discussion around this issue on these two maillists
in the spring earlier on this year, but I have not been able to find any
good resolution. My old firewall/router at home equipped with a 733Mhz
Pentium 3 processor and a old 40GB IDE harddrive made around year 2001
performe better. Is there anybody out there with the same problem who
has solved this issue? Could it be that this is solved in 7.0?

Thanks in advance.

--
med vennlig hilsen/with regards,

Espen Tagestad