Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:18:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        asmodai@wxs.nl, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /sys/boot, egcs vs. gcc, -Os

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, John Polstra wrote:

> In article <XFMail.990407210734.asmodai@wxs.nl>, Jeroen
> Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> > This raises an interesting point I think. Do we need to maintain
> > gcc/egcs compatibility? Or do we, since we track CURRENT, say:
> > "alas, that's progression for ye?"
>
> Yep, alas, that's progression for ye.  We have never supported mix
> & match of sourceballs from different releases.  We do our best
> to support running old executables on newer systems, but that's a
> completely different issue.
>
> > Has there been an `official' consensus reached about this from core or
> > commiters?
>
> I am only speaking for John Polstra, a compiler guy, here.

John, no complaint (I figure some recompiling is the cost of running
current) but could you please repost here some stuff that I think you
said once already?  I'm sorry, but I have an error, and I want to make
sure it's recompile time.  Here's the last part of the dump:

configure:4096: /bin/sh ./libtool --silent --mode=link c++ -o conftest -Os -pipe
 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/X11/qt  -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/l
ocal/include/giflib  -s -L/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.C -lkdecore
 -lqt -lXext -lX11  -rpath /usr/local/lib -rpath /usr/X11R6/lib  1>&5
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.2, needed by
/usr/local/lib/libkdecore.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.3
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2: undefined reference to `__unwind_function'
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2: undefined reference to `__find_first_exception_table_match'
/usr/local/lib/libkdecore.so: undefined reference to
`_vt$11QPushButton$12QPaint Device'
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2: undefined reference to `__register_exceptions'
/usr/local/lib/libkdecore.so: undefined reference to `_vt$11QPushButton'

I thought you had patched ld-elf.so.1 so this (__register_exceptions)
wouldn't get hit again, but maybe I'm wrong, could you please bang me on
the head with the story, and THIS TIME I'll try to remember it?

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).