Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 2020 10:15:00 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        listac@nebelschwaden.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Find out OS version and plattform?

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 11:03:22 +0200
Ede Wolf <listac@nebelschwaden.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there a way to find out which version of FreeBSD was installed - and
> for what architecture, simply by  mounting the disk?

	If you mount it on FreeBSD then you can do something like this
(taken from man freebsd-version).

mount -rt ufs /dev/ada0p2 /mnt
env ROOT=/mnt /mnt/bin/freebsd-version -ku

	You could inspect the sources of freebsd-version to find out how
this is done.

> I am not talking about uname, where you have to be inside the os, but if
> you simply mount the root partition to another computer, where to look
> for these information?

	The kernel version is pulled from the kernel, I'm not sure where
the userland version is stored.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>