Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:55:49 -0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What's in a name? (was: The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?)

On Tuesday, 21 March 2000 at 18:57:03 +0000, Paul Richards wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> Umm, that's more than a little ridiculous.
>>>
>>> Nobody can stop anyone taking the codebase and lauching another project.
>>> If "Jordan, David & co" stop you using the name then what you're doing
>>> is setting up a competing project not taking the project somewhere else.
>>
>> I think this is a matter of definition.  Do you consider the project
>> to be the name, or the product?  Recall that we have already gone
>> through a number of names: UNIX, Berkeley UNIX, BSD UNIX, BSD,
>> FreeBSD.  There's a continuity of product from one to the next.  Sure,
>> I wouldn't want to drop the BSD name, but then I wasn't too happy when
>> we had to drop the UNIX name, either.  But we survived.
>
> Who do you mean by "we".

The community that has become FreeBSD.

> The only name change that FreeBSD has gone through was from "386BSD
> 0.1 Interim" to FreeBSD, which is actually a good example in that
> the name change also resulted in a new project since it was
> essentially a split from 386BSD in the same way that NetBSD was.

If that's where you start, sure.  But FreeBSD wasn't written from
scratch the way Linux was.  It goes back a long way, and that's what I
was referring to.

> Maybe some definitions would be useful.
>
> The project is neither the name nor the product. The name could be
> changed, if the project felt we should rebrand, and maybe it will
> following the merger, perhaps it will be BSD 5.0.

Well, I'd go for 5BSD or 5.0BSD.

> We could also change the product, say we decided that BSD/OS was
> much better and we should just throw FreeBSD's code base away and
> use that instead.

That's a little at variance with the real intentions.

> All the above would still take place within the project structure, with
> the core team having executive control and the usual hierarchical peer
> structure within the developer community.
>
> If you split from the project structure though then you are forming a
> new project. If you disagree with core's decisions and take the code,
> and even many of the developers and go off and do your own thing then
> that is a project split. You are forced to change the name of your
> product because the core team/foundation own it but it is not the name
> that is relevant, it is the setting up of a competing project structure.
> This is just like OpenBSD splitting from NetBSD.

OK, now let's consider the object of this month's FUD: that BSDI tries
to take over FreeBSD and change it beyond recognition.  If a
*majority* of FreeBSD developers left and formed a "new" project to
continue the old tradition, would that be a new project?  Is FreeBSD
no longer UNIX, just because the lawyers say so?

Greg