Date:      Sat, 27 Aug 2016 09:40:49 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forcing poudriere to rebuild a package and all dependencies

Hi Bryan,

On 08/26/16 22:44, Bryan Drewery wrote:
> On 8/26/2016 3:21 PM, Russell L. Carter wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So I'm in the middle of jumping a herd of 6 boxen from 10.3 to 11, and
>
> Upgrading/Replacing a poudriere jail from 10.3 to 11 normally would
> rebuild all packages since there would either be no packages in the new
> jail (if using a name such as 10-amd64 and 11-amd64), or it would
> rebuild all packages for the major version updating (if you used a
> simple jail name like 'foo').
>
> So I'm not sure how you don't have all packages rebuilding in that case.
>
> How did you upgrade your jail from 10.3 to 11?

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised it worked as well as it did.
I just installed 11, copied my 10/stable poudriere config over
(including packages), brought up an 11/stable jail and then ran
poudriere bulk.  LOL.  Amazing.  Something like a third of my 1000+
packages got rebuilt, and the only ones that didn't that needed to
be rebuilt were the kernel modules.  Next time, though, no screwing
around.  I will fire up poudriere in the evening and install the
entire new set of packages the next day.

Anyway, it seesms the easiest way to force a (re)build of a package
might be to toggle poudriere options on the port (if it has an
option.)

I will say again that the architecture of poudriere is a gigantic
leap forward from e.g. debian apt.  Packaging the base will be
killer.

Many thanks!
Russell