Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 00:06:37 +0200
From:      Farid Hajji <farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net>
To:        kjones@got.wedgie.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware2 problems

> Have you run "linux"?  What version of FreeBSD?
Of course. I tried to load the vmmon_up.ko and vmnet.ko modules after the
linux.ko module, as well as before or without it. In both cases, I get the
same error message.

kldload: can't load /usr/local/lib/vmware/lib/modules/vmmon_up.ko: Exec format error
(same with vmnet.ko).
linux.ko loads w/o problems via linux(8).

> > I'm trying to use /usr/ports/emulators/vmware2 on a
> >   FreeBSD 5.0-20000506-CURRENT
> > system (the one that is packaged in the Toolkit June 2000 CD).
[Snip]

The linux emulation alone works quite well (e.g. acroread4 or most other
linux binaries). There is only one point that made me curious:

When I run linux(8), ldconfig (probably /usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig,
right?) dumps core. Nonetheless, the emulation still works. Can this
be the problem? What would be the right work-around?

Thanks,

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net