Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:11:47 -0600
From:      "Paul Schmehl" <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        "'Free BSD Questions list'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Xorg - no mouse and no keyboard

I had a working Xorg config, and everything was fine.  Then my monitors
crapped out.  I got new ones and installed them.  No I have no mouse and no
keyboard in Xorg.  I've tried disabling hald and dbus and manually
configuring them.  That doesn't work either.  What sort of troubleshooting
steps do I need to take to figure out why they're not working and get them
working again?

Mouse and keyboard work find at the console.  It's only in X that they don't
work.  I'm running 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #13.  I've uninstalled and
reinstalled xf86-input-keyboard, xf86-input-mouse and the radeonhd driver to
no avail.  I've searched the web for answers but haven't found any.

Here's some stuff from the Xorg.0.log:

# grep -i mouse /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(==) RADEONHD(0): Silken mouse enabled

(II) config/hal: Adding input device Optical USB Mouse

(II) LoadModule: "mouse"

(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so

(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

(**) Optical USB Mouse: Device: "/dev/ums1"

(==) Optical USB Mouse: Protocol: "Auto"

(**) Optical USB Mouse: always reports core events

(==) Optical USB Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50

(**) Optical USB Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5

(**) Optical USB Mouse: Buttons: 9

(**) Optical USB Mouse: Sensitivity: 1

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Optical USB Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

(**) Optical USB Mouse: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1

(**) Optical USB Mouse: (accel) filter chain progression: 2.00

(**) Optical USB Mouse: (accel) filter stage 0: 20.00 ms

(**) Optical USB Mouse: (accel) set acceleration profile 0

(II) Optical USB Mouse: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 5, hw.model is 0

(II) Optical USB Mouse: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse

(II) config/hal: removing device Optical USB Mouse

(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"

(II) config/hal: Adding input device PS/2 Mouse

(**) PS/2 Mouse: Device: "/dev/psm0"

(==) PS/2 Mouse: Protocol: "Auto"

(**) PS/2 Mouse: always reports core events

(==) PS/2 Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50

(**) PS/2 Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5

(**) PS/2 Mouse: Buttons: 9

(**) PS/2 Mouse: Sensitivity: 1

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "PS/2 Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

(**) PS/2 Mouse: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1

(**) PS/2 Mouse: (accel) filter chain progression: 2.00

(**) PS/2 Mouse: (accel) filter stage 0: 20.00 ms

(**) PS/2 Mouse: (accel) set acceleration profile 0

(II) PS/2 Mouse: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 3, hw.model is 0

(II) PS/2 Mouse: SetupAuto: protocol is PS/2

(II) PS/2 Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

No, I don't have a PS/2 Mouse.  I have no idea why hald is removing my USB
mouse and replacing it with a non-existent one.

]# grep -i keyboard /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.

(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD

(II) config/hal: Adding input device Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

(**) Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite: always reports core events

(**) Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite: Protocol: standard

(**) Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite: XkbRules: "xorg"

(**) Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite: XkbModel: "microsoft"

(**) Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite: XkbLayout: "fr"

(**) Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite: XkbOptions: "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

(**) Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite: CustomKeycodes disabled

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite"
(type: KEYBOARD)

(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Keyboard

(**) AT Keyboard: always reports core events

(**) AT Keyboard: Protocol: standard

(**) AT Keyboard: XkbRules: "xorg"

(**) AT Keyboard: XkbModel: "microsoft"

(**) AT Keyboard: XkbLayout: "fr"

(**) AT Keyboard: XkbOptions: "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

(**) AT Keyboard: CustomKeycodes disabled

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)

No, I have no idea why hal is adding an AT keyboard after installing my real
keyboard.  But disabling hal and dbus and adding input devices to the
xorg.conf file doesn't change a thing.

Paul Schmehl (pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com)

In case it isn't already obvious, my opinions

are my own and not those of my employer