Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 09:48:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      hans@brandinnovators.com (Hans Zuidam)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        cmott@srv.net
Subject:   Re: Bus Errors

> Jamie Bowden wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Charles Mott wrote:
>
> > What does "Bus error" mean?
> Amazingly enough, a buss error is a memory allocation error.  At least it
> was under SunOS.  I am guessing FreeBSD is the same on this.
The term "Bus error" originated from the Motorola M68K where this
is a signal line which is raised when the CPU tries to access (for
example) unaligned data.  The early Suns (Sun/2, Sun/3) were M68K
based machines.  Custom had it that you would shout "buzz, buzz!"
when one would happen :-)

					Hans
--
H. Zuidam                        E-Mail: hans@brandinnovators.com
Brand Innovators B.V.            P-Mail: P.O. Box 1377