Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:58:24 -0500
From:      "Jason Wilson" <jwilson@nobilis.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD and Best Practical RT

Forgive me if I'm addressing the wrong audience here, but I posted this
to the RT list about a month ago and got no response, so I thought maybe
someone who knew FreeBSD and Perl a bit more intimately might be able to
shed some light on this for me.

I was going through the install of rt 3.0.7_01 and it seems I came up
against a wall.

I was able create/modify/manage tickets/queues/users from the web
interface, but whenever I submitted a message via e-mail, I kept seeing
the same error message in my mail log file:

MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile: Invalid argument

I'm guessing that this is a permission issue somewhere with needed to
open up a temporary file somewhere when processing the attachment, but
where I can't seem to locate.

I dug around in the archive and found a message about modifying one of
the modules where the tmpfile call is made. Modifying the sub
_SetupMIMEParser function by adding a $parser->tmp_to_core(0) call after
the $parser->output_to_core(0) call keeps the error from happening and
makes e-mail communication with RT work.

So the question - can someone point me in the right direction as to why
RT, or more specifically MIME::Parser, is having problems opening a
tempfile when processing e-mails? Fixing the problem is one thing -
knowing why is another... can anyone shed some light on this for me?

System Info:

FreeBSD 5.0, Perl 5.8.0, Required Perl Modules up to date as of December
10th, Apache 1.3.29, mod_perl 1.29 statically compiled into Apache.

Thanks in advance.

Jason Wilson
Nobilis Software

"Yes, we ARE a bunch of anal, short-tempered, quick to
fly-off-the-handle, sarcastic, know-it-alls.  That's what running
networks does to you."=20

- James Fischer (inet-access)