Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:31:26 -0500
From:      Keith Pitcher <kpitcher@locallink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tx0 + 4.1.1 NIC problems

I had a 3.4 system that has ran fine for about a year. Updated it to 4.1.1
and the system installed via boot disk and FTP fine. But after that it
refuses to boot past detection of the network card. I pulled the card out
and things booted fine. I put in a new NIC, booted fine. Rebooted, and it
locked in the same place. This is using the generic kernel. I put in another
new card, booted once then it locked up. Tested the cards on a win machine
and they work fine. In summary if I boot from floppy the card works. If I boot
with a brand new NIC it works. After that it locks up.

I recompiled the kernel to include ONLY the tx and miibus for network cards
and it still locked up. I threw in an NE2000 card and things work fine using
the ed driver.

Here is a message at the point of hanging.

tx0: <SMC EtherPower II 10/100> port 0xf400-0xf4ff mem 0xffaef000-0xffaeffff
irq  11 at device 11.0 on pci0
miibus0: <MII bus> on tx0
nsphy0: <QS6612 10/100 media interface> on miibus0
nsphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

<System Hangs>

Today I tried installing fbsd 4.1.1 from a cdrom on a system with an SMC
card on another system. It installed fine, but then it too locked upon reboot
at the same place.

Any ideas - other then to avoid SMC tx cards? (Which I haven't had a problem
with since they've been supported in 2.2.8)

Thanks,

Keith
kpitcher@LocalLink.Net