Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2006 21:30:40 +1000
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is FreeBSD popularity decreasing ??

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 10:37:28PM +0200, Simon Streit wrote:

> > Or perhaps less people are using Google to search for "freebsd".
>
> I agree with you, because I'm quite new to FreeBSD and I hardly never
> need Google for any Information when searching.

I suspect some truly new people to FreeBSD might also search for "free
bsd" (sans quotes).  Although that may not really matter.  But I don't
think Google Trends is a useful measurement for anything.

It would not surprise me if FreeBSD's popularity has decreased in favour
of Mac OS X, for example.  But I don't know how you'd measure that.  I
suppose you would just need to ask individual people.  Not rely on data
mining.

> Since I think that the
> FreeBSD Site is the best designed homepage for any resource of
> information for this distribution on comparing other Distribution sites,
> why should I use Google when I even know that I will land on the Site
> again?

True.  Or if you've installed it, /usr/share/doc/handbook/, etc.