Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:21:00 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Nico Meijer <nico@familiemeijer.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mini atx for firewall

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 04:11:46PM +0100, Nico Meijer wrote:
> Hi Francisco,
>
> >Anyone used a mini ATX machine with FreeBSD?
>
> It's mini ITX and yes, just did one yesterday. Small, quiet and
> beautiful. ;-)
>
> It was a ME6000 (fanless 600Mhz machine):
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=794445+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2003/freebsd-questions/20030928.freebsd-questions
>
> >My primary concern is the network card. Since these small machines only
> >have one PCI slot I will add one card for the internal network and then
> >would need the onboard card to connect to the outside world.
>
> I tried a 3com 3c905 with this box and it wouldn't boot. Putting in a
> RTL8139 worked flawlessly. Since the box won't be doing any 'real' work,
> that's okay with me for now.
>
> HTH... Nico

I'm using a USB Ethernet adapter for the 'outside' interface on my ME6000,
since I needed the PCI slot for the wireless card.  Seems to work just
fine - it's only talking to a cable modem so the fact that the USB
connection only runs at 11Mbps is not a problem.  Just another option to
consider.

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon