Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:48:08 -0400
From:      Bryant Eadon <bryant.eadon@gmail.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: time to ask for help... .

Gary Kline wrote:
> The way my site is now configured, my ISP
> 	(Qwest) baby-bell has its router connected to my pfSense firewall.  The
> 	firewall computer connects to my FreeBSD server which handles my DNS,
> 	mail, and web.  The server then fans out to my several desktops.  This
> 	one, my laptop, my daughter's MacBook, and has a spare CAT5 for my wife's
> 	PC.

Since this sounds like a home setup, in terms of raw power usage I'm inclined to
suggest a tighter integration of router, DNS and firewall functionality by
putting this all into something like OpenWRT on a decent off-the-shelf router,
thereby eliminating the Qwest router, firewall machine and possibly mail/web if
it's low volume enough and/or you pick up a router with a USB connection for
storage. Try an Asus WL-500G Premium (version 1 is my favorite) if you go that
route.  This would free up the server for other tasks, obsolete 2 boxes (and
possibly the server), spice up your life with easy to install SNMP monitoring of
connections and give your family wifi ... but I digress...

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/cvs-freebsd/article.html

>       I used ipf and/or IPFW .... managed to catch and kill
> 	hundreds of kiddie-scripters trying to crack in.  But with pfSense and
> 	how things are *now*, I'm in the dark.

You're looking for an intrusion detection system (IDS).  For FreeBSD you might
leverage 'grok' written by Jordan Sissel, which, isn't an IDS, but it will play
like one :

http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/grok/

You could also do something like this :
http://surachartopun.com/2008/06/example-how-to-monitorby-e-mail-auth.html

...monitor your auth logs for bandits with email alerts.

That should get you started :)

-Bryant