Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:10:06 -0600
From:      Jeff Muse <jmuse@kcnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NEWBIE: CVSup issues

Hi all -

First of all, I want to say thank you for sharing your experience to all of
you who post on the list. Between lurking here and RTFM'ing, I'd like to
think that I have part of a clue about FreeBSD on occasion.

Anyway, I tried my first CVSup last night. I had a few problems, and the Fine
Manuals just confused me more. Here is my supfile (more or less straight from
the /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile and the handbook):

ports-all tag=.	# This line is definitely a problem
*defaulthost=cvsup6.freebsd.org
*defaultbase=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*defaultprefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4 # Not sure if this line is a problem or not.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

First, I am trying to keep up with FreeBSD 4_STABLE including ports. However,
after running `cvsup -g -L2 supfile`, I get an error: "Release not
specified for collection "ports-all". Complete FreeBSD uses "ports-all" for
the ports example, but the sample supfile and the handbook have dire warnings
about using anything other than "ports-all tag=.", saying you might hose your
installed ports. What am I doing wrong and why is there a difference between
the handbook and Complete FreeBSD? If I comment out the ports line, I can
cvsup and `make world`.

Second, although I am trying to keep up with -STABLE, I've gotten weird
errors after CVSup. ipfw segfaulted, and `pwd` and `cd ..`  gave me "No such
file or directory" several times. Did I somehow get -CURRENT instead, and if
so, what should I have in my supfile to get to -STABLE?

I'm sure that there is a simple answer to these questions, but the more I
read, the more I get confused.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff