Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 07:02:15 -0600
From:      Scott Brown <skb@xmission.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Incoming mail disappears

I'm having a problem with my FreeBSD machine not being able to recieve
incoming mail.  Mail sent to my machine bounces with the message
"skb@asgard.slcc.edu... Deferred: Connection refused by
cislab.slcc.edu.".  Which struck me funny, because cislab (my gateway
machine) is a Netware server.  Asgard is my machine.

I can telnet to asgard's sendmail daemon from elsewhere and successfully
send mail to an asgard user.  This is true even when the "elsewhere" is
a [Linux|AIX|Solaris] machine from which mail sent to asgard (using
mail(1)) still bounces.

Outgoing mail works nicely, as does local mail.  I thought the problem
might have been because I didn't have a POP3 daemon, but installing one
didn't help.  My sendmail.cf file is unmodified since installation.  I
also see nothing incriminating in /var/log/maillog, although I'm not
sure I really know how to interpret that file.

I'm out of ideas.  Does anyone know what might be going on?

-Scott