Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 1995 15:43:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        sakr@itp.ac.ru, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with Compaq Prosignia 300

> On Jun 9, 16:21, "Serge A. Krashakov" wrote:
> } Subject: problems with Compaq Prosignia 300
> } I want to install FreeBSD (2.0-950412-SNAP) on Compaq Prosignia 300
> } having:
> } 	Intel 90MHz Pentium, 16 MB RAM
> } 	TriFlex/PCI controller
> } 	Integrated 32bit Fast-SCSI-2/P controller (NCR 53C810 chip) on local bus
> } 		with ST1250N 2.1 GB HDD abd Compaq CD-ROM CR-503BCQ
> } 	Integrated NetFlex-L ENET controller on a 32bit PCI local bus
> } 	Integrated video 1024*768, 16 colors
> }
> } I tryed to boot all boot disks supporting PCI NCR53810 controller
> } starting with 1.1.5.1 boot floppies from freefall.cdrom.com and ending
> } 2.0.5-ALPHA but all attempts faild: boot kernel doesn't see PCI controller
> } and SCSI disk (Linux slackware 2.20 boot disk does, but I don't want
> } to install Linux). OS/2 and MSDOS works.
> }
> } Can anybody help me?
>
> I'll try, but I'm very busy right now !
>
> The NCR and generic PCI drivers in FreeBSD
> were written by a friend and me, so we
> should be able to work out a solution.

Per a conversation I have had with an Intel BIOS engineer it was pointed
out to you some time ago that the way you are doing all your own PCI
probing is not to the SPEC.  To do things correctly you *must* call the
PCI 32 bit bios hooks or we are going to continue to have this problem
and other problems as PCI evolves.  These are protected mode safe BIOS
calls and there is no good reason to not use them!