Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 17:24:18 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        S?ren Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk>
Cc:        Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: motd

S?ren Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk> wrote:
> Sunday, September 30, 2001, 3:44:52 PM, Kevin wrote:
>
> KG> /etc/motd ?
> KG> I've never bothered changing mine but that's where it says I should if I
> KG> ever did.
>
> I think I will stick to the standard motd too, but how do I activate
> it?

If you haven't changed the default /etc/login.conf file it should contain the
following:

    default:\
	    :passwd_format=md5:\
	    :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
	    :welcome=/etc/motd:\

That `welcome' line is what you need to edit, and then run the command:

    # cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf

If you have a very old version of FreeBSD, whose login.conf does not support
the welcome= capability, you can always add to your /etc/csh.cshrc the
following:

	test -f /etc/motd && cat /etc/motd

and that should take care of it, for you.

-giorgos