Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 13:02:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Confirm Your PayPal Membership

 Dude
 Get a life. Its 1.94. They do it to make sure its a real CC. They do give it
back.  Jeeze get over it. So much for charity. You must be a blast to split a
meal tab with.

  Nicole

On 26-Dec-01 Andreas Klemm wrote:
> Dear sirs and madams,
>
> I want to cancel my account and the whole transaction
> of $50 to the FreeBSD foundation.
>
> And please give me my $1.94 back immediately latest date is
> until December 31th 2001.
>
> Reason: You charged me $ 1.94 without my confirmation !
>
> I only pressed a continue button (not a confirmation button
> to be charged a certain amount of money) on a webpage where you
> told, that transactions below $100 don't need a paypal card
> verification.
>
> After simply pressing continue I got the *first time* the information
> from you that you would charge me $ 1.94. Furthermore You tell me,
> after pay pal card registration, I would get charged it back to my
> account.
>
> But actually
> - I never wanted to be charged $ 1.94
> - I never gave you my o.k. to charge $ 1.94
> - I would never have made the transaction of $50 through you
>   if I would have known, that recommended is to confirm/get a
>   card number and being charged automatically without confirmation.
>
> After I saw this charging information, I immediately stopped everything
> and thought that nothing would happen, since I didn't confirm being
> charged $1.94.
>
> But now you write to me in the e-mail below, that I already have been
> charged. That's NOT FAIR !
>
> I will immediately inform my VISA card support line and block the
> transaction.
>
> Immediately remove my account and all my personal data.
> I don't allow you to keep, store or resell it !
>
> Thanks for your kooperation.
>
>       Andreas Klemm
>

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 03:12:30AM -0800, service@paypal.com wrote:
>> Dear Andreas Klemm,
>>
>> This is a reminder that we need you to confirm your PayPal membership.
>> The credit card to which we sent the Membership Confirmation Number
>> was added to your PayPal account on 26 December 2001, and ends in
>> the last four digits 1888.
>>
>> Please follow the steps below to confirm your PayPal membership
>>
>> How to confirm your membership:
>>
>> PayPal has charged a $1.95 membership fee to the credit card you just
>> registered. This $1.95 fee will be refunded to your PayPal account
>> when you complete the membership confirmation process below:
>>
>> 1.  In the item description section of your monthly credit card statement,
>>     a 4-digit PayPal Membership Confirmation Number will be printed next
>>     to the $1.95 charge. Check your monthly credit card statement to find
>>     your unique Membership Confirmation Number.
>>
>> 2.  Click the link below and type in your unique Membership Confirmation
>>     Number:
>>
>> https://www.paypal.com/CC-CONFIRM
>>
>> If you access your credit card statement online, it may take up to
>> 4 business days for your Membership Confirmation Number to appear. If you
>> do not have online access to your credit card statement, please wait for
>> your printed statement to be mailed to you.*

> [...]

*******                |\ __ /|   (`\             *******
 *   *                 | o_o  |__  ) )             *   *
  * *                 //      \\                    * *
   *    Nicole Harrington | AKA Hodge Podge          *
  HomePage                      http://www.unixgirl.com/
  DangerMouse Site             http://www.dangermouse.org/
  Photography Site              http://www.deviantimages.com/
  Music Stuff                   http://www.mp3.com/signals

             **   Being Silent - Is Agreeing **
                            --
 We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.
     --Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.