Date:      Sun, 07 Sep 1997 19:01:24 -0400
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, support@kew.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG

Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:

> Actually I was told that numerous government agencies have networks of
> machines that don't reverse out.
>
> > The TCP/IP protocol implicitly requires public IP address to be properly
> > registered to be routed (otherwise, you don't get your ACK's back!),
> > there is no sin in requiring public e-mail addresses registered as well.

No, I didn't mean the IP was in DNS, I mean the network itself had to be
registered with the 'Net routers for the packets to be ACK'ed.  IMHO,
SMTP should refuse connections from sites that don't reverse out, but
that's a different issue.

(I suspect this should be moved to -chat ..., follow-ups will go there)

-ahd-
--
Internet:       ahd@kew.com             Voice:          617-279-9810

"MS-DOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years
 of careful development."               - dmeggins@aix1.uottawa.ca