Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:31:22 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Making GNOME 2 the default for 5.0-RELEASE

--==_Exmh_-1968635060P

If memory serves me right, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Since I'm not a src committer, I imagine I would need either sobomax or
> someone from re to make the necessary sysinstall and
> print-cdrom-packages.sh changes.  Thanks.

OK, as you saw, I did the print-cdrom-packages.sh thing.  That was easy.

sysinstall is harder.  On, say, a 4.7 system, sysinstall has two
relevant items in the desktop config menu:

	GNOME + Sawfish
		(Installs gnome and sawfish-gnome)
	GNOME + Enlightenment
		(Installs gnomecore and enlightenment)

I think that the sawfish-gnome install above is redundant, because
sawfish-gnome is contained in the gnome meta-package, but you get the
idea.  We should maybe fix this for 4.8.

Anyways, I imagine what you'd like for 5.0 is something like this:

	GNOME 2 + Sawfish
		(Installs gnome2, which includes sawfish2-gnome)
	GNOME 2 + Enlightenment
		(Installs "something" and enlightenment)

The trouble is that I'm not sure what "something" is.  I thought at
first it would be analogous to gnomecore for GNOME 2, but I couldn't
figure out what that would be.  Should it be gnome2?  Or should there
be only one entry for GNOME 2 (which would give the users Sawfish and
Metacity)?

The applicable code, BTW, is in src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/
{config,menus}.c.  I haven't made any changes so far to either file.

Testing this is complicated by the fact that at the moment, we don't
have a package build set on bento that contains the gnome2 meta-package,
although I expect that to change in a day or two.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1968635060P

--==_Exmh_-1968635060P--