Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2007 10:33:12 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        James Jeffery <cascadingstylez@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: C++ Compiler On FreeBSD

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 10:13:56PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 08:53:00PM +0100, James Jeffery wrote:
> > Evening to you all (or morning in some parts of the world).
> >
> > Im learning C++ from Sams Teach Yourself C++, now many will call this
> > a dumb method, and the books pointless and stupid, but i have no knowledge
> > of any lower level languages, so i do need to be spoon fed the basics.
>
> I'd say that C++ isn't the easiest way to learn programming. I'd suggest
> starting with Perl, Ruby or Python.

If you're amenable to languages other than C++, I'd specifically
recommend Ruby, via the book "Learn to Program" by Chris Pine.  Ruby and
Perl are both excellent first languages, and both "Learn to Program" and
"Learning Perl" by Randal Schwartz et al. are excellent books.  Ruby's
much better for learning object oriented programming techniques, though,
and anyone learning to program anything like mainstream languages these
days should learn some OOP (generally speaking).

In the Unix world (such as with FreeBSD), I'd recommend C before C++,
too -- though probably long after Ruby or Perl.

If you specifically want to learn C++, though, and skip the middle man:
more power to ya, and good luck.

> > Im using Borland C++ compiler on XP and was wondering what compilers
> > there are for FreeBSD that would allow me to compile and execute some
> > of the examples i will practise from the book.
>
> FreeBSD comes with the GNU C++ and C compilers installed. There are
> others available (Intel) or in progress (OpenWatcom).

Also in progress is the TenDRA compiler, though FreeBSD support is part
of what's "in progress".

  http://www.tendra.org/about/

Dr. Ron Paul: "Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when
terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons."