Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:52:02 +0200
From:      Matthew West <mwest@uct.ac.za>
To:        Francois Kritzinger <ffkrz@iafrica.com>
Cc:        questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: QUESTION: Installing JDK1.3 for Linux on freeBSD

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 04:23:51PM +0200, Francois Kritzinger wrote:
> I downloaded the Linux JDK 1.3.
[ ... ]
> I don't know how to install it though.

Have you tried using the port skeleton to do the installation?

cd /usr/ports/java/linux-jdk13 && make install

> Do I simply set my CLASSPATH and PATH variables? If so , where do I
> do this, in .profile or in csh.cshrc? Or where?

As I understand it, anything above java 1.1 does not require CLASSPATH
variables anymore.  where you set your PATH variable depends on what
shell you're using.

> And also, on a side note, what are some of the better Java IDE's for
> freeBSD?

I've tried Sun's Forte[1], NetBeans[2] and JBuilder[3]; and they're
all unfortunately rather slow.

Apparently the JDE[4] package for Emacs is apparently very nice, but
I've not yet had a chance to try it.

Another one I've seen is visaj[5].

You may have better luck asking on the freebsd-java mailing list, or
searching their archives.

--
mwest@uct.ac.za

[1] http://www.sun.com/forte/ffj/