Date:      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:59:09 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Jerod Prothe <jprothe@usd217.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail malady - dns/postfix

Jerod Prothe wrote:

> CNAME to galley?  That's a good idea.
this will only affect those who have an updated record of your zone and
can see that new record. For those that still think that MX is otto on
it's real(old) IP, the CNAME wont help them a bit. Assigning otto's
public IP to galley will fix this problem.

Also, you may want to make triple sure the serial of your zone gets
updated with every change...else downstream DNS servers wont necessarily
pickup the changes.

> I changed it and reduced the
> expire time to 10d (I got it out of the Lehey Complete FreeBSD book).  I
> wonder why it is that Australia has updated but a US State has not?

because i never looked up your zone before, so when I just did it, it
had to go to the authoritative server to look it up. that info is
correct, hence what I can see is correct.

and for your own sake, if your servers can take it, i'd reduce those 10d
to whatever delay you are willing to put up with for updates in your
zone. I just beef up the DNS server and set it to 20 minutes - which
equates to almost full propagation in about an hour or so (with most of
the traffic updated within 30 minutes). **YMMV**.

Best,
beto