Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 1995 19:42:54 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   While all this cleanup work that seems to be going on is going on...

Might some stalwart soul wish to make the all dependencies in the /sys
tree work properly relative to a copy of LINT in /sys/compile/LINT?

That is to say, the ancient bugaboo for which I came under much fire
with my "fix" for in config (that blows away your old /sys/compile/<kern>
directory unless you config -n or set NO_CONFIG_CLOBBER).  If you
config a kernel and leave it there, even after having done a depend,
it will slowly rot as changes occur in /sys that don't force rebuilds
of appropriate sources as they should.  If everything was depended
properly and config could also be taught to tweak /sys/compile/<kern>
correctly when options were just added or deleted, then we'd have a
nice kernel build system that didn't require any directories to be
blown away and I'd happily reverse the default behavior on config;
it'd only blow it away if you ASKED it to.

And no, I don't want to hear from those who's opinion is "reverse it
now!  why wait!" - I've already heard from you, and opinions I'm
completely familiar with I don't really need to hear again.. :-)

					Jordan