Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 03:13:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Hoss Firooznia <hfir@math.rochester.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rpc.lockd broken in 2.2-RELEASE?

Hello!

(I apologize if there's a better forum for this question, but I've
searched the handbook, FAQ, and mailing list archives without being
able to find a satisfactory answer.)

What is the status of rpc.lockd in 2.2-RELEASE?  I've noticed that the
daemon actually exists in /usr/sbin, but its invocation is commented
out of /etc/rc with the following note:

  # Warning: rpc.lockd is broken.
  # Only uncomment this line if the consequences are fully understood.

I'd uncomment the invocation, but unfortunately I don't fully
understand the consequences as I can't find an explanation of what
exactly is broken.  Can someone help me, or at point me in the right
direction, please?

>From what I've gathered from the freebsd-questions archives, it looks
like there was a "dummy" rpc.lockd in earlier version of FreeBSD that
would accept lock requests, but not really do any locking.  Is this
still the case?

The reason I'm asking: at my site we have a number of machines
mounting /var/mail over NFS, in our case from an Indy acting as a mail
hub.  IRIX's rpc.lockd seems to do the job, as so far we haven't had
any problems with corrupted mail spools -- although this may simply be
good fortune at work. :-} I'd love to replace the Indy with a FreeBSD
box, but I don't want to risk jeopardizing the mail spools.

In the case that there's no working version of rpc.lockd available for
FreeBSD, does anyone know if there are versions for {Net,Open}BSD that
might be easily ported?

Thanks very much,
  - Hoss
--