Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:16:49 +0300
From:      Alex Kapranoff <alex@kapran.bitmcnit.bryansk.su>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.x installation problem

  Good day everyone.

  I'm a cs student. We have had a FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE box for a year in our
laboratory. It worked fine. Some days ago we decided to upgrade it to a
3.3-RELEASE. The machine is a p100/8mb/500mb with a isa realtek nic.
No CD drive so we install from local ftp. Everythings goes fine up to the
moment when setup starts to download distros. It says "1024 bytes downloaded"
and hangs the poor box. It seems to be a hardware problem, so we changed
the memory, the hdd and the nic(to pci) - same results. Then we tried to install
3.1-RELEASE (same results) and even RH 5.2 Linux (same). The strange thing is
that 3.0-RELEASE and 2.2.8-RELEASE still install quickly and effortlessly and
work fine under loads (we tried to host two quake and one quakeworld server
simultanously - swaps loudly but works!)

  Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. I'm not subscribed to the list
so please group-reply.

--
Alex Kapranoff,
2:50/383.20@fidonet,