Date:      Wed, 10 May 2006 09:29:02 -0400
From:      Kurt Miller <kurt@intricatesoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk15 from update5 sources

On Monday 08 May 2006 9:19 am, Arne H. Juul wrote:
> On Sat, 6 May 2006, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> >
> > The most important thing however is that if this is a correct interpretation
> > of the situation, then the posted patches cannot be used, since AFAICT they
> > were created against JIUL-licensed sources.
>
> since the source code I looked at is released under *both* JRL and JIUL I
> don't think this is a problem if you want to work under either of those
> licenses.  I'm not sure if I understand the reasoning behind the JIUL
> faq answer 16, maybe it's targeted to bigger modifications (libraries,
> new language features) where the author would like to have their *own*
> copyright and license.  Small "porting" patches like the ones I've
> posted should be compatible with both JRL and JIUL as far as I can tell
> from reading both the actual licenses, at least as long as I'm willing
> to give them away without any extra restrictions from my side.

I think it would be great if java/jdk15 could be licensed under
the JIUL. It just seems like there are some obstacles right now.
FAQ 16 being the big one, but also the parts about changing a
small fraction of the jdk. With the patchset at over 70K lines
and licensed under the SCSL, I don't see how the transition
can be made.

On the other hand, moving to the JRL looks straitforward and
would at least allow the port to follow the src updates on
tiger.dev.java.net.

-Kurt