Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 22:58:32 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: CAN newfs ad1s3 - BUT!

On Tue, 14 May 2002 16:23, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> >>   # disklabel -e /dev/ad1s3
> >
> > That puts me into what appears to be vi (:q to exit)
>
> Or the EDITOR of your choice.

Vi didn't want to play - but I used le successfully.

> >>     (add a partition h, identical to c except for partition type
> >>     4.2BSD followed by 3 0s).
> >>
> >>   # newfs /dev/ad1s3h
> >
> > That says:
> > newfs: /dev/ad1s3h: No such file or directory
>
> Ah, you may need to make the device node.  Try
>
>   # cd /dev
>   # ./MAKEDEV ad1s3h

Did that - worked fine.

> > Only thing I can think of is that I am supposed to USE the vi
> > look-alike and edit something to something else ??
>
> Well, it's not a look-alike, it's the real thing, and of course you're
> supposed to USE it.  As I said:
> >>     (add a partition h, identical to c except for partition type
> >>   4.2BSD followed by 3 0s).

Whatever that meant - sorry.  I needed the more explicit instructions you
gave below.

> Specifically, you'll see something like this at the end of the file:
>
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c: 78165360        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 -
> 77544)
>
> Add a partition h with 3 zeros after it:
>
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c: 78165360        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 -
> 77544) h: 78165360        0    4.2BSD     0 0 0 	# (Cyl.    0 - 77544)

Did it - it worked AND so did newfs /dev/ad1s3h - Hoorah!!!

> BTW, why are you using ad1?  Do you have something else on the second
> IDE controller?  Otherwise use ad2, not ad1.  Slave disks are
> performance problems.

I accept that.  The reason is partly historical.  I changed motherboard,
case, CPU and cables on a system which had two HDs, a CDROM and a removable
HD which worked best as Master.  I couldn't have THREE masters!!
Now I have replaced the original CDROM with a RW model I could probably
dispense with the removable HD, but I haven't yet made that decision.

--
Regards,
Brian