Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:33:22 -0400
From:      Alan Clegg <abc@firehouse.net>
To:        James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-Stable and PCMCIA Networking

--U3s59FfKcByyGl+j

Out of the ether, James Housley spewed forth the following bitstream:
> I just installed 4.0-RELEASE and then did a build world 4.0-STABLE
> (cvsup'd 4/1) on a old laptop (Toshiba Satalilite 110CT).  The OS is
> working fine, no ATA problems, too old I guess.  I am using a D-Link
> DE-660CT PCMCIA card (NE2000 clone), the card is working fine.  The
> problem I am having is with bootup.  After pccardd is loaded /etc/rc
> continues on and finished, failing on every piece of networking, before
> the PCMCIA card is initialized.=20

This is *NOT* a problem with your system, this is the way it works.  I=20
believe it to be broken, but have not gotten around to doing anything
about it yet.

My setup includes a machine with a wavelan PCMCIA card that is started
so late in the system boot that named does not attach to it's interface.

My fix (since other interfaces were working OK) was to modify=20
/etc/pccard.conf as follows for that interface:

card "Lucent Technologies" "WaveLAN/IEEE"
        config  0x1 "wi0" ?
        insert  echo WaveLAN/IEEE inserted
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether wi0 10.100.100.10 netmask 255.255.255.0
        insert  (sleep 10 && /usr/sbin/ndc restart)
        remove  echo WaveLAN/IEEE removed
        remove  /sbin/ifconfig wi0 delete 10.100.100.10

Note that the sleep 10 is requred so that named is not mugged during it's
startup during boot.

AlanC

--U3s59FfKcByyGl+j

--U3s59FfKcByyGl+j--