Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 2010 00:15:02 +0900 (JST)
From:      Kazumaro Aoki <ka@flu.if0.org>
To:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reset with fwcontrol -R

From: Sean Bruno <sean.bruno@dsl-only.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:47:18 -0800

> The debug.firewire_debug=3 will display more output on the console
> during use.  This is the interesting information to capture.  Probably,
> you would need to configure a serial console and capture the output from
> a second computer.

Unfortunately, the target computer is located far from me.  I cannot
change the physical connection of the computer.  I can only request to
reboot the system.

I changed /etc/syslog.conf to log all information on the console to a
file.

>> Ah, I forgot to mention the following fact.  When I used without -M dv
>> option, fwcontrol -R outputs:
>>   fwcontrol: detect_recv_fn: ioctl FW_SSTBUF: Bad file descriptor
>> So, I used fwcontrol implementation in FreeBSD 6.3R.  Moreover, when
>> I am using fwcontrol -R, I cannot use "fwcontrol" with no option.
>> When I used FreeBSD6.3R, I can see the result from fwcontrol, because
>> fwcontrol outputs:
>>   fwcontrol: main: Error opening firewire controller #0 /dev/fw0.0: Device busy
>> That is the another reason why I use fwcontrol implemented in FreeBSD
>> 6.3R, though the operating system is FreeBSD7.2R.
>
> If I understand correctly, you are using the FBSD 6.3 fwcontrol on a
> FBSD 7.2 system to use your cameras.

Your understanding of the binary is correct.  I used two video capture
boxes from firewire.

> The fact that the 7.2 system does not work correctly *may* be easier to
> fix than the 6.3R panic with a 7.2R binary.  I will attempt to debug
> this problem first and see if I can determine what's broken.
>
> Thank you for your patience.  We'll get it working.

Thank you for considering my problem.

I will report results when my system crashes from "fwcontrol -R"
again.

Kazumaro