Date:      Tue, 04 Sep 2001 17:43:31 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Dovli <dovli@edison.ro>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem configuration

> Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 13:18:22 +0300
> From: Dovli <dovli@edison.ro>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hi !
>
> I just installed FreeBSD 4.3 at home and I couldn't get PPP properly set
>
> up. It seems that my modem is not correctly set up.The message from
> dmesg is
> sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> I have an ISA PnP 33.6 modem. Under Windows it uses irq 3 and COM4. I
> also managed to configure it under Debian Linux.
> I recompiled the kernel using the settings from Windows but the problem
> remains the same.
> What can I do?

This may be a BIOS configuration problem. I know that on a Dell of
mine I got he exact same message until I went into the BIOS setup and
enabled the device. I still don't really understand why it worked
under Windows without setting up BIOS, but it did.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)