Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 09:35:38 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        Greg Schohn <root@jules.res.cmu.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, kingsled@enc.edu, Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Subject:   Re: disk problem at bootup... (me too!)

Charles Owens wrote:

> When attempting the first boot I get a "missing operating system"
> error.  I can get into the system by booting from the install floppy and
> typing "0:da(0,a)/boot/loader" at the first boot prompt.
>
> So I'm thinking that my messing around with dangerously dedicated mode
> must have screwed something up.  Thus far I've done this to attempt to
> fix it:
>
> -- Booted the install disk.  When to fdisk screen and did the normal
> thing I'd do during and install:  Use all disk (_not_ dangerously
> dedicated), Set FBSD partition bootable.  Then I hit 'W' to write it
> out.  Didn't help.

You've lost your "boot block", aka the master boot record.  On most FreeBSD
systems, this is BootEasy, the one that is installed by default.

You need to go far enough through the install to get to the point where
it asks you if you want to install the boot manager.  Answer yes, go
on to the next screen, then reboot.  Alternatively, you can boot from a
DOS floppy or Win95 "start disk" and run the booteasy install program
from the FreeBSD CD-ROM.

Or just use BeBoot, like I do.  ;^)