Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 14:12:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current state of the conventional wisdom?

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> >> statements, you should at least justify them.
> >
> > 1.  2.2.X -> 3.X upgrade doesn't handle a.out libraries, rendering a.out
> >     bins (netscape, built ports, etc.) useless until they're moved.
>
> It did for me.

I was referring to sysinstall, not make aout-to-elf (which is getting more
stale every day).

> > 2.  Sysinstall locks up during the second device probe.
>
> I haven't seen this.

A couple of people have reported it recently.

> > 3.  Sysinstall locks up during extraction on machines with <=8MB RAM.
> Yes, this is one known bug.

Figured that :)

> > 4.  Kernel panics mysteriously after device probe when devices are
> >     removed; unedited kernel boots normally.
>
> I haven't seen this.

I've run into it myself on a couple of occaisions, plus several -questions
reports.  I don't have a box I can play with and debug, however.

> > 5.  /kernel.config fiasco.
>
> Details?

See the errata ....

> A lot of this suggests hearsay rather than firm problems.  The only
> one I know of as a fact is (3), and that doesn't affect most people.
> What are the PR numbers for these problems?

I would have filed these myself, had I the equipment, time, and expertise
to do so.  But I don't.

> > I'll wait and see.  The conventional release cycle has the .5 release as a
> > strong comeback for the branch.  Reference 2.0.5, 2.1.5, 2.2.5...
>
> You've been away for a while.  There will be no more .X.5 releases.

I'm getting used to the new version format, although I'm not very happy
with it.

> > -CURRENT is the best NFS candidate, thanks to Matt Dillon's hard work.
> > Unfortunately -CURRENT has problems elsewhere.
>
> Of course, that's why it's -CURRENT.

But -stable shouldn't be less stable than -current. :-)  At least for the
time it's been broken.

Doug White