Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 23:43:20 +0100
From:      Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
To:        mwm@phone.net
Cc:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
Subject:   Re: Musings about tracking FreeBSD...

This thread begins to seem more religious than technical, but I'll run =

the risk and throw in a few words anyway ...  I'll quote rather
briefly, since I will only reply to one of the points made.

 MM> On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

 >> If you have a local copy of /usr/src, simply use anoncvs, and cvs
 >> diff the pertinent bit of the system if you're really in need of
 >> the patch.  The point in running -STABLE is that you're getting
 >> these little patches all the time, and you don't have to worry
 >> about applying them yourself.

 MM> Except - as I've just had explained a number of times in a variety =
of
 MM> ways - you can't just install the patches. You're supposed to
 MM> reinstall the whole system.

But you can!  Just cvsup or get the patch from its author (which might
be found randomly on the net), cd to the directories affected by the
change you are interested in and make && make install.

This will probably work and all is well. Just remember that IF it
fails (to make or to produce a stable working system) the most
probable reason for its failure is that the change were depending on
some other change in a directory where you didn't make. Now you can
either try to track down the dependencies or simply go to /usr/src (or
wherever you keep it) and make buildworld && make installworld.

So the only problem remaining is that if you choose to 'just install
the patches' you might get into trouble by dependencies, but that is
certainly true for other systems as well ...

-- =

Rasmus Kaj ---------------- rasmus@kaj.a.se - http://www.e.kth.se/~kaj/
 \           Var glad! Det v=E4rsta har =E4nnu inte intr=E4ffat -Ph. Joh=
nnson