Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:49:00 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Kevin Van Maren <vanmaren@marker.cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mptable from DELL 4100

Hi,

> I tried to add a second CPU, but the stepping wasn't `new enough' to
> make the BIOS happy.  I don't have the machine anymore, but this is
> what it looked like with 1 processor.  Maybe someone has annother
> DELL server with multiple processors?

If this is related to the current discussion of EISA hardware, this motherboard
should have no problem as it (claims*) to have the timer attached directly to
the IO APIC:

> I/O Ints:	Type	Polarity    Trigger	Bus ID	 IRQ	APIC ID	INT#
> 		INT	 conforms    conforms	     2	   0	      1	   2

more specifically since the 8254 is attached to the IO APIC, the 8259 could
be used to pass the EISA DMA chaining INTs to the APIC IF someone cared enough
to write the code...

---
*PS:

I'm working on a theory that those systems that currently require
"options SMP_TIMER_NC" don't really, but that its an issue of additional
programming of the MB chipset.
--
Steve Passe	| powered by