Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 13:49:17 +0100
From:      Gavin Dandridge <gavin@forzagroup.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with sendmail - please!

At 06:31 17/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Gavin Dandridge said:
>
>> Has anyone had problems with sending long messages through sendmail. I'm
>> using SQL Anywhere on my system and it generates email messages that are
>> long strings of text.
>>
>> Quite often these strings can be 16kb long and will not contain and CR's or
>> LF's. However after the message has been processed by sendmail there is a
>> CR-LF-LF every 1024th character.
>>
>> This causes SQL Anywhere to think the message is corrupted.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea why sendmail might place these CR-LF-LF's into
>> the message and how it could be stopped?
>>
>> Many Thanks,
>> Gavin Dandridge. <gavin@forzagroup.com>
>
>If I thought Oracle cared, I'd suggest complaining to them.  My
>undeerstanding is that you can't really count on internet mail
>messages with long lines making it---that's why people came up with
>uuencode.  I'd get the message uuencodes and then sent to you.  Why
>Oracle doesn't know enough to do this I don't know.  Even CC:Mail
>uuencodes things.  I'd guess sendmail is doing this because of some
>buffer internally.  You may look into /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/src
>to see if you can find it, but if your mail ever gets sent to a system
>without the patches you make, it'll get linebreaks inserted.
> - Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>

Alas there is no option inside SQL Anywhere to automatically uuencode
messages. :( So that option is out. Though I do agree with your comments.
That any product could still fail to be net-friendly seems quite bizzar!

I have tried using Netscape Messageing Server on Windows NT (Sorry had to
try) and SQL Anywhere worked fine on that! The messages arrived intact.
This leads me to belive that sendmail is doing something unique here. The
question is what. I have no desire to use Windows NT on my network and
would really like FreeBSD boxes for my mail servers! I'm not sure I'm up to
hacking th sendmail source code though! :(

Any further ideas?

Regards,
Gavin Dandridge. <gavin@forzagroup.com>