Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 10:30:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        malvin@webquest.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login name

On Sat, 25 May 1996 malvin@webquest.com wrote:

> Sir,
>
> We are currently using FreeBSD 2.1 as one of our server.  We have
> several questions regarding the login name being implemented in FreeBSD.
> Hope you can help us out.
>
> 1.  Does FreeBSD allows us to override the maximum of 8 characters login
> name?  If yes, how?

So many things depend on that name being no more than 8 that if you go
and force change it you are guaranteed to wreak havoc.  If the goal is to
have long unweildy email addresses use /etc/aliases.

> 2.  Is it possible to use a combination of upper or lower case as your
> login name? If yes, how and how do you send mail to them?

No - if the first letter is a cap the system thinks you can only send
caps and will mess you up.  Again use /etc/aliases for long horrid case
included email addresses.