Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:24:12 -0700
From:      "Weyrich, Orville" <orville.weyrich@pegs.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'orville@weyrich.com'" <orville@weyrich.com>
Subject:   service.switch problem with sendmail

System: FreeBSD_4.3-RELEASE

NOT connected to the net, no local DNS (but I will add that later after I
get this part working).

If /etc/mail/service.switch contains the lne "hosts files" then I can send
e-mail to systems on my LAN using entries in the /etc/hosts file.  So far so
good.

But if /etc/mail/service.switch contains the line "hosts files dns" then
I EXPECT THAT THINGS WILL WORK THE SAME WAY, because files is listed before
dns, and the host file is able to resolve the ip address of the destination
system on my LAN.  But no joy -- the mail gets queued on the local box --
deferred because of DNS.

How do I get sendmail to ONLY consult /etc/hosts for systems found in
/etc/hosts, and to use DNS for other systems?

I don't want to break the anti-spam features when I connect to the Internet,
but my LAN systems are trusted.  This system is intended to be my bastion
host.

Help please?

orville@weyrich.com