Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 22:11:52 -0600
From:      "Duke Normandin" <dnormandin@freewwweb.com>
To:        "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to close a ppp connection?

On Tuesday, May 30, 2000 9:02 PM Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com> wrote:

>Duke Normandin wrote:

>> >find)
>> >`/etc/start_if.tun0`
>> >is,
>> >"ppp pid"

[snipped for brevity]

>Read about pppctl. Then add a local domain socket to your ppp.conf.
>Then, all you have to do is tell it to close. You can setup shell
>scripts to do the commands. I even have one for "quit all" which shuts
>ppp down nicely.

Things work well when a person knows what to look for ;) I also searched
the archives and found your previous posts re: pppctl to "flesh out" the
above hints. I have a further question which concerns using `pppctl` as
a normal user. I noticed that I'm not able to "get a status" or "hangup"
(I have aliases set up) unless I frist  `su`. It seems a long-way around
to kill a connection (from lynx, e.g.). Is the the normal way of doing
things? I have set myself up in the wheel group (among others), so I
thought that I would be able to use `pppctl` as "myself". In ppp.conf
I also have:

default:
    allow users dnormandin

Am I missing something -- or I should say *what* am I missing? Tia....

-duke
Calgary, AB